Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The paradox of being a writer.

I'm basically reading essays about writers and writing and thinking lots of it is true, but here's something I think is going to be my detriment someday:

What happens when I have this marvellously brilliant idea and find out someone much more famous has already incorporated that idea?

Well I used to think that meant I couldn't use the idea anymore, and then it sort of shifted to making me feel guilty about de-facto plagarism. For example, I have this character named Anath and he is very much in tune with all human senses - and then some - minus only eyesight. I should mention he is not human. And now I learn that Octavia Butler has some alien race just like this if not better!

What's a girl to do. Nothing is original, right? But what if it IS original originally?

Some ideas that've come to me in the past five minutes - (I give them to you on the condition you DON'T plagarize my work ;) ):
  • A race like some species of fish that begin female and mature into males. I like to think of it as a comment on social constructs (two individuals can't be together but they want to) and homophobia.
  • A woman who has to kill an abusive boyfriend in order to be free of men. Think "Private Benjamin", a movie I will reccommend to anyone. The idea isn't feminist exactly, but more as a self-liberation thing, albeit tragic.
  • I really want to incorporate my Zonian warrior women into something. Also a gender issue; they treat men much like men treated women a few centuries previous: as property. They are...um...they're like taking over my brain. Zonians tend to do that to you.
  • (There is a bug on me, and sometimes I get paranoid when I am up late at night that there are people in the house. Is that rational or normal?)
  • Some irrational fear about something. I don't care if the character is totally mad. The madder the better.
  • I want to prove someone wrong about mermaids. They're not gorgeous women laying on the beach for you to look at, boys. They're vicious maneaters. They have teeth.
  • Something that has amnesia and wakes in the clutches of humans? Obviously this stems from my current work on Butler's Fledgling. I remember reading something about a trapped angel somewhere, that would be interesting.

Alright folks, looking back looks more like stream of conscious inspired by late-night exhaustion than anything. Give me two weeks and all be all on these ideas like gravy on potatoes.

Peace,

Becs.

1 comment:

  1. I leave you with a quote which I adore - "Stealing from one is plagiarism. Stealing from many is research."

    If you have a lot of ideas that others use, but they haven't been put together properly, is it truly unoriginal?

    Keep in mind that most fantasy for the last 30 years can basically trace its roots to Tolkien.

    ReplyDelete