Friday, March 27, 2009

Do You Believe in Werewolves?

(This story was written for a contest several years ago.)

It was a full moon that night, just as any good horror movie would be. I was alone in bed reflecting on the day in my journal. Suddenly I heard a high-pitched scream. I immediately jumped out of bed. My heart thumped with the extreme thrill of an adventure. Being the audacious kid that I am, I naturally tugged on my blue-jeans and sweatshirt and was just about to rush out the door to see what all of the commotion was about, when suddenly my mother barked, “Stop! Where do you think you’re going, young lady?” She tapped her foot impatiently.
I spun around and said, hoping that I was looking quite innocent, “Just out for a walk, Mom!” She didn’t look convinced.
“You know that it’s a full moon! Not one person is allowed out of this house at night during a full moon!” Needless to say my mom is a little bit superstitious. Don’t ask me why, because I don’t understand it myself.
“I’m not going out long, Mom! And besides, it is a cloudy night, and the moon isn’t even visible now!” The full moon had been concealed in a misty veil that masked its face.
She hesitantly said, “Alright, but be back soon and take your brother with you!”
I didn’t have a problem with that. I silently padded to his room and entered. “Come on!” I said, “There’s a crime to report!” My ten-year-old brother named Rex jumped out of bed quick as a flash. He had the same nose for adventure as I did, and as we both wanted to be news reporters when we grew up, we always reported everything. I, however, usually led the expedition, having much more experience than he did.
I grabbed a notebook and a pencil and headed out.
With the sound of “Don’t go far!” ringing in our eardrums, we trod off in the direction of the hideous scream.
It was about time I found out what was going on with the screaming. It seemed to be coming in the direction of the field across the street from our house, so Rex and I headed over in that direction.
It was then that I started to become frightened. It was a misty, dark night because of the cloud cover, and it was eerily silent. Any could have heard a pin drop in the enveloping gloom. I jumped at a strange sound, though it was only an owl. I could have sworn that my heart was going to give me away to the demons of the night. Not that I belevie in demons, just a manner of speaking of course.
Suddenly, my keen ears picked up the soft rustle of a bush. My eyes darted to the dark green shrub and I was not surprised to find movement there. I slowly, bravely, gathering courage from the pits of my soul, advanced toward the noise and was surprised to find that, behind the bush, was not a big, scary monster, but a young girl, about the age of fourteen, crying with supreme remorse. Her face was puffed up and her long brown hair was sadly matted to her face with tears.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude…” I said apologetically and turned to leave.
“Wait! Do you know where I can get away?” she asked vehemently. I glanced around, and though I admit I had previously been daunted by the foreboding night, I did not see anything near to cause this extreme grief.
“I don’t, sorry.” Then, seeing her disappointed face, said, “Would you like some food, though?”
She smiled and nodded. I sent Rex back to the house for a ham sandwich.
The girl looked a bit out of place for a moment, drying her tears, and then asked slowly, “Do you believe in werewolves?”
This question struck me and for a minute I did not answer. I had been frightened of the night, to be sure, but a thing as this had never crossed my mind. Even Mom didn’t believe in that nonsense. I tried to answer her without laughing outright, “No, they’re not real.” She bowed her head with rosy cheeks as Rex came jogging with a sandwich and a glass of milk. She gratefully gulped down both of them.
I said to Rex, “She believes in werewolves. Do you think that you can quiet her fears?” As with everything that I cause, I had spoken at the wrong time. Without any warning, the clouds parted in a fierce wind and the face of the full moon shone directly above us. I glanced at Rex, and he seemed to read my mind. His face contorted in a painful grimace which resembled what I felt at that moment. The girl behind the bush looked from me to him with a look of utter horror on her face.
I dropped to all fours and let out a long, low howl. Rex did the same. Shaggy fur flashing, we grinned mockingly with our razor teeth as the girl began to run, shrieking into the distance. We chased after her with a speed incomprehensible to even an Irish Wolfhound’s great speed. Within seconds, we were upon her.
Needless to say, there is one more member in our pack since last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment